50 Ways to Top Nachos2013-01-16
How to make nachos:
Spread 8 cups chips on a rimmed baking sheet or in a shallow dish. Add cheese and other toppings, then bake at 475 degrees F in the upper third of the oven until melted, about 7 minutes.
1. Tex-Mex Top tortilla chips with 1 can refried beans and 3 cups shredded cheddar. Bake, then top with salsa and pickled jalapenos.
2. Double Decker Make Tex-Mex Nachos (No. 1), but make 2 layers. Bake, then top with warm jarred nacho cheese sauce, salsa and pickled jalapenos.
3. Cajun Top tortilla chips with 3 cups shredded cheddar, 1 pound cooked diced andouille sausage and 1 cup each diced green bell pepper, celery and onion. Bake, then top with salsa and pickled jalapenos.
4. Jerk Pork Rub 1 pound pork tenderloin with 1/4 cup jerk seasoning; grill, then chop. Top tortilla chips with the pork, 1 cup diced pineapple and 3 cups shredded pepper jack. Bake, then top with sliced fresh jalapenos, cilantro and lime juice.
5. Bacon and Egg Make Tex-Mex Nachos (No. 1), adding 1 pound crumbled cooked bacon with the beans; crack 4 eggs on top. Bake until the whites set, 10 minutes. Top with sliced scallions and salsa.
6. Breakfast Migas Make Tex-Mex Nachos (No. 1). Meanwhile, scramble 6 eggs in butter, adding 1/4 cup each salsa and pickled jalapenos. Toss the nachos with the eggs and top with cilantro.
7. Greek Top 4 cups pita chips with 1 cup each hummus, diced cucumber, tomatoes and feta, 1/4 cup each chopped red onion and kalamata olives, some tzatziki sauce and oregano. (Do not bake.)
8. BBQ Chicken Bring 1 1/2 cups barbecue sauce and 1/2 cup water to a simmer. Add 4 cups shredded cooked chicken; heat through. Top tortilla chips with the chicken and 3 cups shredded cheddar. Bake, then top with chopped scallions.
9. Buffalo Chicken Make BBQ Chicken Nachos (No. 8) with wing sauce instead of barbecue sauce. Strain the chicken (reserving the sauce) and spread over ranch-flavored tortilla chips with the cheddar. Omit the scallions. Top with blue cheese, chopped celery and the reserved wing sauce.
10. Chicken Mole Make BBQ Chicken Nachos (No. 8) with mole sauce instead of barbecue sauce, and a mix of mozzarella and cotija cheese instead of cheddar. Omit the scallions. Top with sour cream and pepitas.
11. BBQ Pork Make BBQ Chicken Nachos (No. 8) with pork instead of chicken and pepper jack instead of cheddar. Omit the scallions. Top with pickles and red onions.
12. Chimichurri Puree 1/2 cup each parsley, cilantro and olive oil, 1 garlic clove and some hot sauce. Rub 1 pound skirt steak with half of the sauce; grill and slice. Top lime-flavored tortilla chips with 1 1/2 cups each mozzarella and cotija cheese. Bake, then top with the steak and remaining sauce.
13. Veggie Top tortilla chips with sauteed sliced bell pepper, zucchini, mushrooms, red onion and corn, and 3 cups shredded monterey jack. Bake, then top with salsa verde and sour cream.
14. Butternut Squash Roast 4 cups diced butternut squash at 425 degrees F, 15 to 20 minutes. Top tortilla chips with the squash, 3 cups queso blanco and 1/4 cup pepitas. Bake, then top with sour cream and chopped cilantro.
15. Chorizo-Manchego Top tortilla chips with 1 can refried beans, 3 cups shredded manchego and 1 pound cooked crumbled chorizo. Bake, then top with pickled jalapenos, salsa and sour cream.
16. Mexican Corn Cook 4 cups corn with 1 teaspoon each cumin and cayenne in a skillet, 7 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup mayonnaise and some lime juice. Top tortilla chips with 3 cups queso fresco and the corn. Bake, then top with sour cream, avocado and cilantro.
17. Cheesesteak Top cheese-flavored tortilla chips with 2 cups each sliced roast beef and caramelized onions, and 3 cups jarred nacho cheese sauce. Bake, then top with hot sauce and pickled Italian peppers.
18. Four-Bean Top black bean chips with 1 cup each refried beans and white beans and 3 cups shredded pepper jack. Bake; top with bean salsa and sour cream.
19. Chili-Corn Chip Top Fritos with 2 cups chili and 3 cups shredded cheddar. Bake; top with pickled jalapenos and sour cream.
20. Spinach-Artichoke Cook 2 garlic cloves in a pot with butter. Add 12 cups chopped spinach, 1/3 cup cream, 1 cup grated parmesan and some Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Cook until wilted; stir in 1 cup canned artichoke hearts. Spoon over chips; sprinkle with mozzarella and bake.
21. Frank and Bean Brown 4 sliced hot dogs in a skillet; add 1 can baked beans and bring to a simmer. Spoon over tortilla chips and top with 3 cups shredded cheddar. Bake; top with scallions.
22. Duck Confit Brown 2 confit duck legs in a skillet until crisp; shred the meat. Top toasted slices of baguette with 1 cup sauerkraut, the duck and 1 1/2 cups shredded emmentaler cheese. Bake; top with chopped parsley and cornichons.
23. Three-Cheese Top cheese-flavored tortilla chips with 1 cup each shredded cheddar, pepper jack and mozzarella. Bake, then top with warm salsa con queso.
24. Fried Chicken Heat 2 cups chicken gravy with a small can of chopped green chiles. Top tortilla chips with 3 cups each chopped fried chicken and shredded cheddar. Bake, then top with the gravy and scallions.
25. Shrimp Top tortilla chips with 1 1/2 cups each shredded white cheddar and muenster. Bake, then top with sauteed shrimp, diced onion, avocado and cilantro.
26. Margarita Shrimp Marinate 1/2 pound shrimp in margarita mix with a dash of cayenne; grill. Make Shrimp Nachos (No. 25) with lime-flavored chips and the grilled shrimp. Top with lime juice.
27. Crab and Corn Mix 8 ounces crabmeat, 3/4 cup corn, 1/4 cup mayonnaise, 2 tablespoons minced chives and 1 teaspoon mustard. Spoon into tortilla scoops; top with shredded monterey jack, then bake.
28. Naan-chos Cook 1 sliced onion and 1/4 teaspoon curry powder in vegetable oil. Add 1 can drained chickpeas, 1/2 cup peas, and salt; mash. Spoon over toasted naan triangles with 1 cup mozzarella; bake 2 minutes. Top with yogurt, chutney and cilantro.
29. Fajita Rub 1 pound skirt steak with cumin, cayenne, lime juice and olive oil. Grill with sliced peppers and onions. Slice the steak; spoon the steak and vegetables over tortilla chips. Top with salsa and sour cream. (Do not bake.)
30. Skillet Heat 1 cup each diced dried chorizo and refried beans in a cast-iron skillet. Top with tortilla chips and shredded cheddar; cover to melt. Top with salsa, pickled jalapenos and sour cream.
31. Thai Beef Mix sliced roast beef with shredded carrot, sliced red onion, mint and cilantro; toss with lime juice to taste, a dash of fish sauce and a pinch of sugar. Spoon into tortilla scoops; top with mozzarella, then bake 2 minutes. Top with peanut sauce and jalapenos.
32. Wild Mushroom Cook 5 cups wild mushrooms in butter. Add 1 chopped garlic clove, 1 tablespoon each chopped chives and parsley, 1/4 cup each white wine and heavy cream, and salt and pepper; simmer until reduced. Spoon over multigrain chips and sprinkle with gruyere, then bake.
33. Cobb Top tortilla chips with 2 cups shredded cooked chicken and 1/2 cup crumbled cooked bacon, then bake 2 minutes. Top with lettuce, tomato, scallions, avocado, blue cheese and ranch dressing.
34. Plantain Top plantain chips with 2 cups diced dried chorizo and 1 1/2 cups each shredded mozzarella and queso blanco. Bake; top with salsa, avocado, sour cream, cilantro and lime juice.
35. Pizza Toss half of a thinly sliced baguette with olive oil, then spread on a baking sheet and bake until crisp, about 7 minutes. Top with 2 cups pizza sauce, 3 cups shredded mozzarella and 1/2 cup shredded parmesan. Bake, then sprinkle with chopped basil.
36. Sausage and Pepper Saute 4 sliced Italian sausages (preferably a mix of hot and sweet), 1 sliced onion and 1 sliced bell pepper in a skillet with olive oil. Make Pizza Nachos (No. 35); top with the sausage, peppers and onion after baking.
37. Meat Loverâ€™s Make Pizza Nachos (No. 35); top with 1 pound diced salami, pepperoni and/or capicola after baking.
38. Pretzel Heat 2 boxes frozen soft pretzel nuggets as the label directs. Top with 3 cups shredded cheddar. Bake; top with pickled jalapenos, scallions and mustard.
39. Tater Tot Cook one 2-pound bag frozen tater tots as the label directs. Top with 3 cups shredded cheddar. Bake, then top with salsa, pickled jalapenos, sour cream, red onions and cilantro.
40. Smoked Salmonâ€“Bagel Top bagel chips with whipped cream cheese and chopped scallions. Bake; top with smoked salmon, tomato, red onion, dill and capers.
41. Broccoli-Cheese Mix 2 cups shredded cheddar, 1 cup mayonnaise, 2 chopped scallions and 2 chopped jalapenos. Top potato chips with cooked broccoli and the cheese mixture; bake.
42. Strawberry Shortcake Cut flour tortillas into triangles. Fry in 350 degree F vegetable oil until golden, 2 minutes. Drain on paper towels; top with sweetened whipped cream and chopped strawberries.
43. Cheeseburger Top ridged potato chips with 1/4 pound cooked ground beef and 2 cups shredded cheddar. Bake, then top with red onion, pickle slices, shredded lettuce and ketchup.
44. Mexican Tuna Melt Mix 1 can tuna with 1/4 cup chopped Spanish olives. Top tortilla chips with the tuna and 3 cups shredded cheddar. Bake; top with cilantro and pickled jalapenos and carrots.
45. Chile Top tortilla chips with 3 cups pepper jack and 1/2 cup each green chiles and pickled jalapenos. Bake; top with fresh jalapenos, salsa and sour cream.
46. Breakfast Waffle Top 1 box toasted mini waffles with 2 cups shredded cheddar and 8 ounces diced Canadian bacon. Bake, then drizzle with maple syrup.
47. Chocolate-Banana Drizzle pretzel crisps with 1/2 cup warm Nutella and top with 2 sliced bananas, 1/4 cup chopped peanuts and whipped cream. (Do not bake.)
48. Sopaipillas Cut flour tortillas into triangles. Fry in 350 degrees F vegetable oil until golden, 2 minutes. Drain on paper towels; sprinkle with sugar and drizzle with honey. (Do not bake.)
49. Apple Pie Cook 3 cubed peeled apples in butter. Top cinnamon-sugar pita chips with the apples, warm caramel, ice cream, whipped cream and cinnamon. (Do not bake.)
50. Sâ€™mores Top graham crackers with marshmallow fluff. Bake, then drizzle with hot fudge.