Badam Halwa (Almond Halwa)2013-03-03
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 30m
- Ready In : 45m
This is a rich recipe and one can’t have too much of it at one time -but it is delicious nevertheless.
1/2 cup almonds, soaked overnight
1/3 cup milk
4 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp cardamom (elaichi) powder
3 tbsp ghee
For the garnish:
2 to 3 almonds, peeled and sliced
- Pour 1 cup of boiling water over the almonds. Leave aside for 5 minutes.
- Drain and remove the skins of the almonds.
- Purée the almonds with 4 tablespoons of milk to a smooth paste in a blender.
- Heat the ghee in a non-stick kadhai and add the almond purée. Cook over a slow flame while stirring continuously till the mixture turns golden brown (approx. 15 minutes).
- Boil together the remaining milk with 4 tablespoons of water, add to the almond mixture and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the sugar and cardamom powder and cook till the sugar has dissolved, while stirring continuously.
- Serve hot, garnished with the almonds.