An almond flavoured lamb stew
- Lean Lamb cubed β 1 Β½ lb
- Ground Almond β Β½ cup
- Coconut milk β 1 Β½ cup
- Yogurt β 1 ΒΌ cup
- Onion chopped β 1 large
- Garlic cloves – 6
- Ginger peeled, chopped β 1 Β½β
- Dried Red Chilies – 2
- Oil β 5 tbsp
- Cinnamon sticks – 2
- Cardamom Seeds β 1 tbsp
- Garlic, crushed β 2 cloves
- Saffron threads β 1 tsp soaked in 2 tbsp boiling water
- Chili Powder β Β½ tsp
- Salt β 1 tsp
- Grind almonds with enough water to form a thick paste and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a heavy saucepan.
- Add cinnamon, cloves, cardamom and fry for 1 minute.
- Add onion and stir fry till soft, stirring occasionally.
- Mix in garlic and ginger and fry for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Mix in lamb cubes and fry until brown for about 5 minutes.
- Whip yogurt, saffron mixture, salt and chili powder and mix in to lamb cubes. Stir fry for 5 minutes.
- Add the almond paste, and whole chilies to lamb cubes; stir well to coat the lamb pieces evenly with the gravy.
- Simmer (boil slowly at low temperature) for 5 minutes over low heat.
- Mix in coconut milk, lower the flame, cover and simmer (boil slowly at low temperature) for 35-40 minutes or until lamb is cooked thoroughly.
- Uncover the pan, and cook for the last 10 minutes and transfer to a slightly heated up