Baked Chicken Kiev2012-11-19
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter, melted and cooled for the coating
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh tarragon, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder, plus extra for seasoning chicken
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus extra for seasoning chicken
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus extra for seasoning chicken
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 large whole eggs, beaten with 1 teaspoon water
- 2 cups Japanese bread crumbs (panko)
- 1/4 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
Combine butter, parsley, tarragon, garlic powder, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper in the bowl of a stand mixer and whip together. Place mixture on plastic wrap or waxed paper and roll into small log; place in freezer.
Place chicken breasts, 1 at a time, between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Squirt chicken lightly with water and squirt the top of the plastic wrap as well. Pound to no less than 1/8-inch thickness. Season each piece of chicken with salt and pepper.
Lay 1 chicken breast on a new piece of plastic wrap and place 1/5 of the compound butter and 1 tablespoon bread crumbs in the center of each breast. Using the plastic wrap to assist, fold in ends of breast and roll breast into a log, completely enclosing the butter; roll very tightly. Repeat with each breast. Place chicken in refrigerator for 2 hours, or up to overnight. Wrap up the remaining 1/5 of the compound butter to use for the breading.
Place egg and water mixture in 1 pie pan. Melt the remaining 1/5 of the compound butter and add it to the 2 cups panko and parmesan cheese in a different pie pan. Stir the butter with the panko and cheese to fully combine.
Dip each breast in the egg mixture and then roll in the buttered panko. Gently place each breast on a baking sheet, sealed-side down, and bake in 350 degree oven until golden brown, approximately 15-20 minutes, until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. Serve hot.
* To make ahead/freezer meal - After coating each chicken kiev, place in an oven- and freezer-proof baking dish or gallon sized freezer bag; then freeze. When ready to prepare, bake from frozen in preheated oven for 25-35 minutes or until the internal temperatue reached 165 degrees.