Baked Lime Cheesecake2012-08-30
A twist on traditional lemon cheesecake; itâ€™s easy to make but takes time to cook through and cool, so bake it the day before.
- 100g crushed wholemeal biscuits
- 50g ground almonds
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 50g unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 800g cream cheese
- 185g sour cream
- Â¾ cup caster sugar
- 4 eggs, plus 2 egg whites
- 1 tbsp lime zest
- 1Â½ tbsp lime juice
- 3 or 4 fresh mangoes and icing sugar, to serve
- Preheat oven to 150Â°C. Grease a 24cm spring form pan and line base with baking paper. To make cake base, combine the biscuits, almonds, sugar and melted butter, and press into the base of the tin, patting down well. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- To make the filling, beat the cream cheese, sour cream and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, two at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the lime zest and juice, and mix well.
- Beat egg whites in a separate bowl until stiff peaks form, then fold into cream cheese mixture. Pour over base.
- Bake for one hour 10 minutes on a low rack. (The cheesecake will not be set completely in the centre.) Turn off oven and leave the cheesecake inside to cool with the door open for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and leave at room temperature for another two to three hours, until completely cooled. Refrigerate overnight.
- Cut the mangoes in half on either side of the stone. Cut the flesh of each half in a cuss-cross pattern, then push inside out and remove from the skin.
- To remove cheesecake from tin, carefully run a hot knife around the outside and loosen the sides, then slide off the base of the pan. To serve, dust with icing sugar and serve with the mangoes.