Baked Mozzarella Bites2013-01-10
Serve this quick after-school snack to your kids as an alternative to traditional fried cheesesticks.
- 1/3 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 3 (1-ounce) sticks part-skim mozzarella string cheese
- 3 tablespoons egg substitute
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup lower-sodium marinara sauce
- 1. Preheat oven to 425Â°.
- 2. Heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Add 1/3 cup panko to pan, and cook for 2 minutes or until toasted, stirring frequently. Remove from heat, and place the panko in a shallow dish.
- 3. Cut mozzarella sticks into 1-inch pieces. Working with one piece at a time, dip cheese in egg substitute; dredge in panko. Place cheese on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 425Â° for 3 minutes or until the cheese is softened and thoroughly heated.
- 4. Pour the marinara sauce into a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH 1 minute or until thoroughly heated, stirring after 30 seconds. Serve with mozzarella pieces.