Beef and Pepper Stew2012-02-01
This a a filling beef stew that you can serve up for the family.
- 2-3 tablespoons oil
- 2 Onions, thinly sliced
- 1 or 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 23 tablespoons Hungarian paprika
- 1 ½ kg Beef chuck or roast, cubed
- 1 litre beef stock
- 2 Red or green bell peppers, chopped
- 4 medium size carrots
- Salt and pepper — to taste
- 4 Russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- Heat the lard or oil in a large pot over medium-high flame. Add the onions and sauté until translucent and starting to brown. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 or 2 minutes more. Remove from heat and stir in paprika until well blended.
- Add the beef, water or stock, salt and pepper and return the pot to the flame. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer partially covered for 1 to 2 hours. Occasionally skim any excess fat that floats to the surface.
- Add the chopped peppers and potatoes and simmer for another 20 to 30 minutes. Adjust seasoning and serve in bowls.
- Add some chopped carrots, green beans or cabbage to the simmering stew along with the peppers and potatoes if you like.
Referenced from: http://www.whats4eats.com/soups/bogracsgulyas-recipe