Beef Casserole with Black Olives2012-08-17
- 350g (12oz) streaky bacon rashers, preferably unsmoked
- 6 tbsp (90ml) oil
- 1.1kg (2Â½ lb) diced stewing steak
- 450g (1lb) onions, chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp (30ml) tomato paste
- 100ml (4fl oz) brandy
- 1 tbsp (15g) plain flour
- 150ml (Â¼ pint red wine
- 300ml (Â½ pint) beef stock
- 225g (8oz) flat mushrooms, quartered
- 125g (4oz) black olives
- Sprigs of flat-leafed parsley to garnish.
- Slice the streaky bacon into thin strips (lardoons).
- Heat half the oil in a large flameproof casserole. Brown the stewing steak in batches; remove and keep warm. Fry the bacon lardoons until golden brown and add to the beef. Add the remaining oil and cook the onions for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Add the garlic, fry for 30 seconds, and then mix in the tomato paste. Cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes; add the brandy. Bring to the boil and bubble to reduce by half, and then add the plain flour and mix until smooth. Add the wine, return to the boil and bubble for 1 minute. Return the stewing steak and bacon to the casserole; add enough stock to barely cover the meat.
- Bring to the boil, cover and cook Gas Mark 3 or 170Â°C/325Â°F for 1Â¼-1Â½ hours. Add the mushrooms and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Just before serving, stir in the olives. Garnish with flat-leafed parsley.