This Indian dish of Beef madras is rich and satisfying served with rice and tomato and onion salad.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 750g gravy beef, trimmed, cut into 3cm pieces
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2cm piece fresh ginger, peeled, grated
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 cups beef stock
- Steamed basmati rice and tomato and onion salad (see note), to serve
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook beef, in batches, for 2 to 3 minutes or until browned. Return to pan.
Add garlic, ginger, coriander, cumin, turmeric and chilli. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add tomato paste and stock. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes. Remove cover. Simmer for 30 minutes or until beef is tender and sauce has thickened. Serve with rice and tomato and onion salad.
Note: To make tomato and onion salad, combine 2 finely chopped medium tomatoes, 1 finely chopped medium red onion and 1/2 cup fresh coriander leaves in a bowl.
Tip: You could use chuck steak instead of gravy beef.
Average Member Rating
(4.7 / 5)
3 people rated this recipe