Caramelized Apple and Cheddar Omelette with Bacon and Candied Walnuts2013-01-06
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 granny smith apple (cored and sliced into big chunks)
1/4 cup cheddar cheese (grated)
1 strip bacon (cooked and crumbled, optional)
2 eggs (lightly beaten)
1 tablespoon candied walnuts (or just walnuts, or pecans etc.)- see below
1. Melt the butter in a non-stick pan.
2. Add the sugar and cook until bubbly minutes.
3. Add the apple and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
4. Lower the heat and and sprinkle on the cheese and bacon and let the cheese melt just a bit.
5. Pour the eggs into the pan and let them cook without disturbing them until they have set, about 2-4 minutes.
6. Slide the omelette out onto a plate and garnish it the candied walnuts and enjoy.
(makes 1 1/2cups)
1 1/2 cups walnut halves
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt (optional)
1. Spread the walnuts out in a single layer on a baking sheet.
2. Bake in a preheated 350F oven until nice and toasted, about 5 minutes, and set aside. (Watch them carefully.)
3. Melt the sugar in a sauce pan and wait for it to turn a nice shade of amber.
4. Add the walnuts and mix to coat.
5. Pour the walnuts onto a sheet of parchment paper, quickly separate them, sprinkle them with the salt and let them cool.