Caramelized Onion & Eggplant Puff Pastry Tart2013-01-15
A puff pastry crust topped with caramelized onions, roasted eggplant, kalamata olives, and roasted red peppers. So much deliciousness!
- Cooking spray
- 2 small (or baby) eggplants, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 1 puff pastry sheet, rolled into a large rectangle (about 9 x 12, but no need to be precise)
- 1/2 c. shredded mozzarella or Italian-blend cheese
- 1/4 c. quartered kalamata olives
- 1/4 c. coarsely chopped roasted red peppers (we used the jarred kind)
- 1/4 c. basil, sliced into ribbons
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Spray a rimmed baking sheet with olive oil or cooking spray. Place eggplant slices onto sheet and spray tops with additional olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and roast for 20-30 minutes or until softened and just beginning to brown, turning slices over halfway through cooking time. Remove from oven and set aside. Lower oven temperature to 400 degrees.
- While eggplant is baking, start caramelizing the onions. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over low heat. Add onions and a pinch of salt. Allow onions to slowly caramelize, stirring occasionally at first and more frequently once onions begin to brown. Depending on your stove, this could take anywhere between 30 minutes to an hour. Be patient–it’s worth it! Remove from heat.
- Place rolled-out puff pastry dough onto a baking sheet that’s been lined with parchment paper. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and use a spoon or spatula to push down the center of the crust, leaving about a 1-inch margin on all sides.
- Spread caramelized onions onto crust. Top with cheese, then roasted eggplant slices, olives, and red peppers. Return to oven and bake 5 minutes, or until cheese has melted. Scatter basil ribbons onto tart just before serving.