There are numerous theories doing the rounds on the internet on the origins of Chicken 65. Whatever the real story, must thank the creator of this delicious chicken starter recipe.
- Boneless chicken – 250 gms/1/4 kg (cut into small bite sized pieces)
- Oil for deep frying
- Yogurt – a little less than 1/2 cup (perugu/curd)
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Red chili powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric powder – large pinch
- Red Chili powder – 1 tsp
- Black pepper powder – 1/4 tsp
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Lemon juice – 1/2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
To coat chicken that has been marinated:
- Egg – 1
- Cornflour – 1 1/2 tbsp
- Rice flour – 1/2 tbsp
- Cooking oil – 1/2 tbsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprg
- Garlic – 2 cloves, minced (optional)
- Ginger – 1/2″, minced
- Green chilies – 4-5, slit length wise
- Marinate bite sized pieces of chicken in the ingredients called for marinade for 1 hour.
- In a bowl, mix yogurt, salt to taste, turmeric powder, red chili powder and coriander powder. Keep aside.
- After marinating the chicken, add egg, cornflour, salt to taste and rice flour to coat the chicken. Add a tbsp of water if required.
- Heat oil for deep frying. Once the oil is hot, add a few chicken pieces into the oil without crowding the vessel and cook on medium flame. Once the chicken is almost cooked, increase flame and deep fry the chicken pieces till golden brown.
- Remove onto absorbent paper. Keep aside. Repeat with rest of the chicken pieces.
- Heat a cooking vessel, add a tbsp of oil. Add garlic and ginger and saute for a few seconds. Add curry leaves and green chilies. Saute for a few secs. Add the deep fried chicken and toss well and cook for 2 mts.
- Add the yogurt mixture and cook on low to medium flame, mixing the contents well. Toss the chicken till the yogurt dries up and the chicken absorbs the yogurt mix.
- Remove onto a serving plate. Garnish with coriander leaves.