Chicken and Vegetable Soup2013-01-11
Tiny pasta stars will up the fun factor. Or try orzo, alphabet, ditalini, or another small pasta. Swap in your kidsâ€™ favorite veggiesâ€”spinach or zucchini are good options. Donâ€™t skip the nutty Parmesan, which adds extra depth to the soupâ€™s broth.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 thyme sprig
- 3 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can no-salt-added, fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup uncooked orzo (rice-shaped pasta) or pastina (tiny star-shaped pasta)
- 5 ounces green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup shredded skinless, boneless rotisserie chicken breast
- 2 ounces fresh Parmesan cheese, grated (about 1/2 cup)
1. Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion and next 5 ingredients (through thyme) to pan; sautÃ© 4 minutes. Add broth and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Add pasta and beans; cook 5 minutes. Stir in chicken, and sprinkle with cheese. Discard thyme.