Chicken and Vegetable Soup2013-01-11
Tiny pasta stars will up the fun factor. Or try orzo, alphabet, ditalini, or another small pasta. Swap in your kids’ favorite veggies—spinach or zucchini are good options. Don’t skip the nutty Parmesan, which adds extra depth to the soup’s broth.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 thyme sprig
- 3 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can no-salt-added, fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup uncooked orzo (rice-shaped pasta) or pastina (tiny star-shaped pasta)
- 5 ounces green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup shredded skinless, boneless rotisserie chicken breast
- 2 ounces fresh Parmesan cheese, grated (about 1/2 cup)
1. Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion and next 5 ingredients (through thyme) to pan; sauté 4 minutes. Add broth and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Add pasta and beans; cook 5 minutes. Stir in chicken, and sprinkle with cheese. Discard thyme.