Chicken & Parsnip Soup with Rosemary2012-06-27
- Skill Level: Medium
- Prep Time : 0m
- Cook Time : 0m
- Ready In : 0m
The classic flavours of roast chicken, parsnips and rosemary are spiced with chilli in a chunky, satisfying soup.
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: about 1 hour 50 minutes
- 300g dry (or 600g canned) butter beans
- 1 small organic chicken
- 6 garlic cloves
- 4 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt flakes & freshly black pepper
- ½ onion
- 1 stick celery
- 1 bay leaf
- A few peppercorns
- 25g butter
- 2 leeks, trimmed, washed & sliced into thick rounds
- ½ red chilli, seeded and finely sliced
- 3 medium parsnips, peeled & cut into chunks
- 5 sprigs rosemary
- When using dry beans, soak them in water overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Put the chicken in a roasting tin, scatter round 3 of the garlic cloves, drizzle over half the oil and season. Roast for 40 minutes per kilo, plus an extra 15 minutes. Meanwhile, rinse the beans, put into a saucepan, cover with water and cook for 20-30 minutes, until almost tender. Remove the meat from the cooked chicken and put the carcass into a saucepan. Cover with 2 pints water and add the onion, celery, bay leaf and peppercorns. Bring to the boil, the simmer for 20 minutes. Strain, reserving the liquid and discarding the carcass and vegetables.
- Melt the butter with the remaining oil in a large saucepan, add the remaining oil in a large saucepan, and add the remaining 3 garlic cloves and the leeks, then over and sauté for 5 minutes until soft. Add the chilli and parsnips and cook for a couple more minutes. Then add a couple of the rosemary sprigs half of the beans and the stock. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Puree half the soup until smooth, and then return to the saucepan. Add the meat, the remaining beans and rosemary, season to taste and simmer for 5-10 minutes.