Chicken Philly Cheesesteaks2012-12-18
- Prep Time : 0m
- Cook Time : 0m
- Ready In : 0m
- 1 pound chicken breast, boneless and skinless, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper to taste
- 1 green bell pepper (ribs and seeds removed), thinly sliced
- 1 large sweet onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 cup white button mushroom, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 6 ounces sliced provolone cheese
- 4 soft hoagie rolls, split lengthwise
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
Heat broiler, with rack set 4 inches from heat. On a rimmed baking sheet lined with aluminum foil, toss chicken with 1 tablespoon oil; season with salt and pepper. Broil, without turning, until chicken is opaque throughout, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board (reserve baking sheet); let cool, and thinly slice. Set chicken aside.
Meanwhile, while chicken is broiling, heat a large skillet over high heat. Toss together peppers, onion, mushrooms, garlic, and remaining tablespoon oil. Add to skillet, tossing occasionally, until crisp-tender and slightly caramelized, 8 to 10 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Add chicken to broiled vegetables; toss, and spread in a single layer.
Top chicken and vegetables with cheese; broil until cheese is bubbling, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Scoop out most of the doughy center from both halves of rolls; discard. Spread rolls with butter ; fill with chicken and vegetables. Serve immediately.