Chicken Satay Burgers2013-01-06
All of the flavours of Thai chicken satay in burger form topped with a spicy peanut sauce and a Thai inspired slaw.
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds, toasted and ground
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds, toasted and ground
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric, ground
- 2 stalks lemongrass, peeled & chopped
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, grated
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon chili sauce
- 1 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 egg
- 1 handful cilantro, chopped
- 4 buns
- 4 leaves of lettuce
- 1/2 cup spicy peanut sauce
- 1 cup Thai slaw
- 1 handful peanuts, coarsely chopped
- Mix the chicken, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, turmeric, lemongrass, shallot, garlic, ginger, chili sauce, fish sauce egg, and cilantro.
- Form the mixture into 4 patties making a small indentation in the middle.
- Brush the grill with oil, and heat it to medium.
- Grill the patties until cooked, about 4-5 minutes per side.
- Assemble the burgers and enjoy.
Tip: You should be able to find the lemongrass in a local grocery store. If you cannot find the lemongrass you can replace it with lemon zest.
Thai Spicy Peanut Sauce
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon panang curry paste or red curry paste
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili sauce (or 1 birds eye chili, sliced)
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons peanuts (roasted and crushed)
1. Heat the oil in a pan.
2. Add the panang curry and saute until fragrant.
2. Add everything else and simmer to thicken it a bit, about 2-3 minutes.
Thai Style Slaw
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 1 large carrot (julienned)
- 1 red pepper (thinly sliced)
- 2 green onions (sliced)
- 1 handful cilantro (chopped)
- 1 handful mint (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (or soy sauce for vegetarian)
- 1 lime (juice)
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar (grated)
- 1 birds eye chili (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon roasted peanuts (chopped)
1. Mix the bean sprouts, carrot, red pepper, green onion, cilantro and mint in a large bowl.
2. Mix the coconut milk, fish sauce, lime juice, sugar and birds eye chili in a small bowl.
3. Toss the salad in the dressing and sprinkle with chopped peanuts.