Chocolate-Dipped Coconut Macaroons2013-01-24
- 1Â 14-ounce package sweetened shredded coconut (about 5 cups)
- 4Â large egg whites
- 2/3Â cupsÂ sugar
- 1/3Â cupÂ all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 1/4Â teaspoonÂ kosher salt
- 1/2Â teaspoonÂ pure vanilla extract
- 6Â ouncesÂ bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled to room temperature
- Heat oven to 325Â° F.
- In a medium bowl, combine the coconut, egg whites, sugar, flour, salt, and vanilla.
- Drop packed tablespoonfuls of the mixture onto parchment-lined baking sheets, spacing them 1 inch apart.
- Bake, rotating the baking sheets halfway through, until lightly golden, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool slightly on the baking sheets, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
- When cool, dip the bottom of each macaroon in the chocolate and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Refrigerate until firm, 20 to 30 minutes. Store the macaroons in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 7 days.