Adding rolled oats that have first been ground in the food processor helps hold these chocolate balls together while giving them an earthy note.
- 16 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup superfine sugar
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 2 oz. bittersweet chocolate, melted
- 6 tbsp. unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp. brewed espresso or dark coffee, at room temperature
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups rolled oats
- 1 cup unsweetened finely shredded dried coconut
1. Combine the butter, sugar, and salt in a large bowl and use a handheld mixer set to medium speed to beat the mixture until pale and fluffy, 1–2 minutes. Add the chocolate, cocoa powder, espresso, and vanilla and continue beating until combined, about 1 minute more.
2. Place the oats in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until roughly chopped, about 5 pulses. Add the oats to the chocolate–butter mixture and mix until combined; refrigerate until chilled, 1 hour.
3. Divide the chilled chocolate mixture into 36 portions using a tablespoon-size measuring spoon; roll each portion into a 1″ ball. Place coconut in a shallow dish and roll each ball thoroughly in coconut; transfer balls to a baking sheet. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.