Christmas Cake Tray Bake2012-12-24
If the family does not like a Christmas cake, why not make these small slices of Christmas cake to offer guests and keep a few slices for you too!
- 125g (4 1/2 oz) butter, softened
- 125g (4 1/2oz ) golden caster sugar
- 3 small eggs
- 150g (5 oz) plain flour
- 500g (11b 2oz) mixed dried fruits
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tbsp warmed, sieved apricot jam
- 300g (10oz) marzipan
- 200g (7oz) royal icing sugar
- silver sugar balls or cake decorations
You will need:
- a 7×11 inch rectangular tray bake tin, lined with baking parchment
- Pre-heat the oven to 170C, 150C fan, gas 5.
- Place the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl and beat until really light and creamy, gradually beat in the eggs. Fold in the flour, fruit and spice to give a soft dropping consistency.
- Bake for 45-50 mins until just firm to the touch. Allow to cool completely.
- Brush with apricot jam then roll out the marzipan on a lightly dusted work surface. Spread the top of the cake thinly with jam then press the marzipan on top.
- Make up the royal icing sugar as directed on the pack, then place in a small piping bag, snip the end and drizzle over the cake. Decorate with sprinkles then cut into slices.