Try out this tasty coconut fish with the typical kenyan way. This recipe was submitted to us by Rukiya Ashraph. This recipe is simple to make and the ingredients are readily available at all places within Kenya. You can have this with your favourite Ugali or best Spicy Bites Paratha, try it and see
- 1kg fillet fish
- ½ tspn ginger paste
- ½ tspn garlic paste
- 1 lemon
- Oil for frying the fish.
- 1 onion
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 capcicum
- 1/4tspn tumeric powder
- Salt to taste.
- 1tbspn tomato paste
- 1 cup coconut milk (heavy)
- 1 cup coconut milk (light)
- 2 green chillies
HOW TO PREPARE THE FISH.
- Cut and small in squares, wash n completely drain off the water.
- In a bowl mix garlic paste, ginger paste, salt and lemon. Mix in the fish well and set to marinate for 20mins. Put oil in frying pan and when ready shallow fry the fish pieces till ready and keep aside.
HOW TO PREPARE THE COCONUT STEW.
- Blend onion, tomatoes and capsicum (make sure it’s completely blended)
- In a pan add 1 tbsp oil, when its hot pour in the tomatoes mixture and stir well. Let it cook till all the water has evaporated and the mixture is cooked.
- Add tomato paste, tumeric powder and salt. Then add the light coconut milk and stir do not stop otherwise it will spoil the texture of the stew. When boiling add the pieces of cooked fish and mix well. The stew will reduce quantity then add the heavy coconut milk and green chillies. Let boil and remove to serve.
P.S to have a smooth good looking stew one should continue stirring after adding the coconut milk.