Creamy Potato-Leek Soup2013-06-05
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (1/4 stick)
- 2 cups finely chopped leeks (pale green and white parts only)
- 4 cups peeled, medium-dice potatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves (from 4 medium thyme sprigs)
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 3 cups water
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. When the foaming subsides, add leeks, season with freshly ground black pepper, and cook until leeks are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add potatoes, salt, and thyme and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Increase heat to high, add vegetable broth and water and bring just to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until potatoes are fork tender, about 10 minutes.
- Blend soup in a blender in 2 batches until smooth. Return soup to the saucepan over medium heat, stir in cream, season with additional pepper as needed, and cook until heated through, about 3 minutes.