Creamy Prawn Curry2013-01-27
Fill the air with exotic aromas when you make this sensational prawn curry.
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 5cm piece ginger, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons madras curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 tomatoes, peeled, deseeded, finely chopped
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 2 bay leaves
- 400ml can coconut cream
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1.5kg large green prawns, peeled, deveined, tails intact
Heat oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan over low heat. Add ginger. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until softened. Add curry powder, chilli powder and turmeric. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until aromatic. Add tomatoes, cinnamon and bay leaves. Stir to combine.
Slowly add coconut cream, stirring constantly. Add stock. Increase heat to medium. Cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly.
Reduce heat to low. Add prawns. Cook for 3 minutes or until prawns just turn pink. Discard cinnamon. Serve.