Curried Chickpeas and Black Beans2013-01-30
This is a quick and simple vegetarian curry with lots of flavor, tons of protein, and not alot of fat. We recommend using a real flavorful, mild curry powder, or one that you’ve mixed yourself.
- 1 -2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion (scallion work well too)
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 2 -3 teaspoons curry powder (for this recipe, I like a milder curry powder that has a bit of fennel seed)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro or 1/3 cup parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Heat oil in a large, non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and ginger and saute about 3 minutes, or until tender.
- Add curry powder and stir to coat onions evenly.
- Add tomatoes with their juices and cook 1-2 minutes or until mixture seems slightly thickened, stirring well.
- Add black beans, chickpeas and salt to taste.
- Stir to coat beans evenly.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer for about 5 minutes or until chickpeas are heated through.
- Turn off heat, and stir in fresh cilantro (or parsley), and lemon juice.
- Serve warm.
- This dish goes nicely over some jasmine or basmati rice.