Daal with Spinach2013-01-28
Fragrant with spices and aromatics, daal will be a favourite in your house.
- 2 tbs sunflower oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tsp grated ginger
- 1 long green chilli, finely chopped
- 1 tbs mustard seeds
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbs ground coriander
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp garam masala (Indian spice mix)
- 400g yellow split peas, rinsed, soaked in water for 1 hour, drained
- 800g can chopped tomatoes
- 3 cups (750ml) vegetable stock or water
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 100g baby spinach leaves
- Rice, mango chutney and naan, to serve Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring, until softened. Add garlic and ginger, and cook for a further minute. Stir in spices, then cook for 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add peas, stock, tomatoes, sugar and 1 1/2 cups (375ml) water. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to low and cook for 1-1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally, until peas are tender and dahl is thick and rich.
- Stir through baby spinach, then serve with rice and accompaniments.
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 people rated this recipe