- 1/2Â cupÂ (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1Â tablespoonÂ granulated sugar
- 1/4Â teaspoonÂ kosher salt
- 1Â cupÂ all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 5Â large eggs
- 2Â pintsÂ chocolate ice cream (preferably dark)
- Dark Chocolate Sauce
- Heat oven to 400Â° F. In a medium saucepan, combine the butter, sugar, salt, and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil, stirring to melt the butter; remove from heat. Add the flour and stir to combine.
- Return to medium heat and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture pulls away from the sides of the pan and a film forms on the bottom of the pan, about 1 minute. Let cool 5 minutes.
- One at a time, add 4 of the eggs, mixing well after each addition. The batter should be shiny and smooth and hold its shape on a spoon.
- Using one soup spoon to scoop the dough and another to scrape it off, drop tablespoon-size mounds of the dough onto parchment-lined baking sheets, spacing them 2 inches apart (you should get about 24). In a small bowl, beat the remaining egg; brush the egg over the dough.
- Bake, rotating the sheets halfway through, until puffed and golden, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool completely on the baking sheets.
- Before serving, cut the puffs in half horizontally, fill with the ice cream, and drizzle with the Dark Chocolate Sauce.