Easter Smarty Slice2013-01-08
- Servings : 8-10
- Prep Time : 0m
- Cook Time : 0m
- Ready In : 0m
No-cook Easter bake that children can easily help to make. Chocolate smarties add a colourful finish
- 225 g shortbread, biscuits
- 100 g butter, cut in pieces
- 2 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- 25 g whole pine nuts
- 100 g bar dark or milk chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 handfuls, about 50g, smarties chocolate
1. Butter and line the base of an 18cm round x 4cm deep cake tin. Crush the biscuits by putting in a strong plastic bag and bashing with a rolling pin to make crumbs, but keeping some small chunky pieces of biscuit too so you have a contrast of textures. Put the butter, cocoa and syrup in a medium saucepan and warm through over a medium heat, stirring occasionally. As soon as the butter has melted, remove from the heat then stir in the biscuits and pine nuts.
2. Tip the mixture into the cake tin and level the surface. Chill for about 2 hours, or overnight, to firm up.
3. Put the chopped chocolate in a medium bowl. Heat a little water in a small pan until boiling. Remove the pan from the heat and sit the bowl of chocolate over it, making sure the bowl does not touch the water. Set aside for the chocolate to slowly melt, over the water, but off the heat. Stir occasionally and when melted, remove the bowl from the pan.
4. Remove the cake from the cake tin and peel off the lining paper. Lay the cake on a serving plate or board. Pour then spread the chocolate over the cake. Scatter over the smarties and leave briefly for the chocolate to set. Use a sharp knife to cut into slices.