Easy Chicken Fajitas2013-01-08
- Servings : 4
- Prep Time : 0m
- Cook Time : 0m
- Ready In : 0m
This is another recipe that gives your kids assembly options. Cook onions and peppers separately, and set them out in separate bowls, so the children can choose which vegetables they want on their fajitas.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil, divided
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut across into strips
- 1 recipe Fajita Seasoning, divided (see below for recipe)
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 large onions, slivered
- 3 bell peppers (one each of green, yellow, and red is prettiest, but not essential), slivered
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 fajita-size flour tortillas, wrapped in a cloth and warmed in the microwave 1 to 2 minutes
- Salsa and sour cream for serving (optional)
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add chicken strips and cook, stirring a couple of times, until almost cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes. Add half of fajita seasoning and water, mix well, and let chicken finish cooking. Transfer chicken to a bowl; cover to keep warm.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in skillet until hot. Add onions and peppers; cook, without stirring, until tender and some caramelized brown bits begin to show up in pan, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir; add garlic and remaining fajita seasoning. Let cook about 2 more minutes. Stir vegetables into seasoned chicken. (Or serve the vegetables separately.)
- Serve the fajita mixture on warm tortillas with salsa and sour cream on the side, if using.
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chili powder (vary according to how spicy you like it)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside and use just as you would the seasoning packet that comes in those taco kits at the store.