Easy Chocolate Cake2013-01-08
- Servings : 12-16
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 30m
- Ready In : 40m
A simple and delicious chocolate tray bake that kids will love – great for parties or as a lunchbox treat.
- 25 g cocoa powder, sifted
- 3 tbsp hot water
- 225 g margarine
- 225 g caster sugar
- 300 g self-raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 2 tbsp low fat natural yogurt
For the icing
- 150 g dark chocolate
- 100 g double cream
- 100 g low fat yogurt
- 2 tubes of Smarties or children’s sweets
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas mark 4. Grease and line a small tray bake tin measuring 30x23cm
2. Measure the cocoa and water into a small bowl and mix well to form a smooth paste. In a mixing bowl add all the other ingredients and beat well until creamed, fluffy and light in colour, then add the cocoa paste and mix again.
3. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin. Bake for about 25–35 minutes, until springy to touch. Check by inserting a skewer into the centre of the cake and if it comes out clean the cake is cooked.
4. Transfer to a cooling rack and leave to completely cool in the tin.
5. To make the icing: heat the chocolate with the cream in a bowl over a pan of gently simmering water and stir until melted. Leave to one side to thicken and cool slightly
6. When the cake has cooled, pour over the icing, spread with a palette knife and decorate with the Smarties.