Fettuccine With Quick Ragu2012-12-19
- 1/2 onion
- 1 stalk celery, cut into 4 pieces
- 1 small carrot, cut into 4 pieces
- 1Â clove garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped freshÂ rosemary
- 3 tablespoonsÂ extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound ground veal orÂ turkey
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 28-ounce can crushedÂ tomatoes
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 12 ouncesÂ fettuccine
- Freshly gratedÂ parmesan cheese, for serving
Pulse the onion, celery, carrot, garlic and rosemary in aÂ food processorÂ until finely chopped.
Heat the olive oil in a largeÂ saucepanÂ over medium-high heat. Add the chopped vegetables and cook, stirring, until softened and golden, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the veal, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and cook, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes, milk, 1 cup water and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until slightly thickened, about 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the fettuccine as the label directs. Drain the pasta, then toss with half of the ragu (about 3 cups). Top with parmesan.