Fish Balls in Tomato Sauce2013-01-23
A spicy tomato sauce injects bright flavor into these fish balls, a North African Jewish delicacy.
- 1 lb. ground cod or haddock
- ½ cup matzo meal or breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup finely chopped parsley
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. ground coriander
- ¼ tsp. ground ginger
- 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp. canola oil
- 3 tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 cups fish or vegetable stock
- 1 cup whole, peeled canned tomatoes with juice, crushed
- 1 tsp. sugar, plus more to taste
- ½ tsp. cayenne
- ¼ tsp. crushed red chile flakes
- ¼ tsp. ground allspice
Stir together fish, matzo meal, 3 tbsp. parsley, cumin, coriander, ginger, 2 cloves garlic, egg white, and salt and pepper in a bowl. Form into thirty-two ½-oz. balls; chill.
Heat oil in a 4-qt. saucepan over medium-high heat. Add remaining garlic; cook until fragrant, about 45 seconds. Add tomato paste; cook, stirring, until caramelized, about 3 minutes. Add stock, tomatoes, sugar, cayenne, chile flakes, allspice, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil. Add fish balls, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook until balls are cooked through, about 20 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining parsley.
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 people rated this recipe