French Onion Soup Sandwiches2013-01-15
Is it a soup? Or is it a sandwich? It’s both! These grilled panini sandwiches are full of caramelized onions and Gruyere cheese–it’s French onion soup in sandwich form.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 4 ciabatta rolls, halved
- 1 c. shredded Gruyere cheese
- 4 c. no-beef broth, heated
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet on low heat. Add sliced onions and cook until caramelized about an hour and fifteen minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and stir in salt and pepper to taste and thyme.
- Heat grill on high. Divide caramelized onions onto bottom of rolls and top each one with 1/4 cup of cheese and top half of roll. Grill for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted and bread is golden-brown. Serve each sandwich with 1 cup of broth.