Fried Chicken Sandwiches with Homemade Pickles2013-06-25
- 4 x 170g chicken breast fillets, cut into thirds lengthways
- 600ml buttermilk
- Sunflower oil, to deep-fry
- 2 cups (300g) plain flour
- 1 1/2 tbs cayenne pepper
- 1/3 cup (100g) whole-egg mayonnaise
- 6 white bread rolls, split
- Salad leaves, to serve (optional)
- 1 cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup (60ml) rice vinegar
- 2 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp caster sugar
For the pickles, toss all the ingredients together in a plastic container with 1 tsp sea salt and some freshly ground black pepper. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
Place chicken in a shallow ceramic dish and cover with the buttermilk. Marinate in the fridge for at least 2 hours or overnight.Step 3Half-fill a saucepan with oil and heat to 190C (if you donâ€™t have a kitchen thermometer, a cube of bread will turn golden in 30 seconds).
Combine flour and cayenne pepper in a bowl and season with salt. Remove chicken from the buttermilk, allowing the excess to drip off, then coat in the flour mixture, shaking off excess.Step 5In 3 batches, deep-fry the chicken, turning, for 6-8 minutes until golden, crisp and cooked through. Remove using a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel. Sprinkle with sea salt.
Spread the mayonnaise generously over the rolls, then fill with the chicken, pickles and salad leaves, is using