Ginger and Chilli Prawns with Pickled Cucumber2013-06-07
Spicy and delicious, this prawn recipe is ideal when you’re short on time.
- 1tsp sea salt
- 2tsp rice vinegar
- 2tbsp oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- walnut-sized piece root ginger, peeled and grated
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2tsp sugar
- 1 star anise
- 1tsp fish sauce
- juice 1 lime, plus extra wedges, to serve
- Â½-1tsp chilli flakes
- 500g (1lb 2oz) large, shelled king prawns, butterflied
- handful coriander, chopped, to garnish
- 2tbsp dill, chopped, to garnish
- Peel the cucumber. Using a veg peeler, make long ribbons from the flesh. Mix the salt and vinegar together in a bowl, toss the cucumber in it and leave to marinate for 20 to 30 minutes before draining.
- Heat a sautÃ© pan and add the oil. Fry the onion for a few minutes, then add the garlic and ginger and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes, sugar, star anise, fish sauce, lime juice and chilli. Season, bring to a simmer, cover and cook for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring often.
- Tip in the prawns, turn up the heat and simmer vigorously until the prawns are pink. Remove the star anise, then stir in the coriander. Add the dill to the drained cucumber. Serve with flatbread.