Goan Lamb Vindaloo2013-01-28
- Servings : 4
- Prep Time : 0m
- Cook Time : 0m
- Ready In : 0m
Lose yourself in this fragrant, flavourful Goan lamb vindaloo.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 (950g) lamb leg chops, trimmed, cubed
- 2 medium red onions, cut into thin wedges
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3cm piece fresh ginger, peeled, finely grated
- 1/4 cup vindaloo curry paste
- 2 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 small green chilli, sliced
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- Steamed basmati rice and cucumber raita (see note), to serve
Heat oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook lamb, in batches, for 2 to 3 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a bowl.
Add onion and garlic to pan. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 to 3 minutes or until onion has softened. Add ginger. Cook for 30 seconds. Increase heat to high. Return lamb to pan. Add curry paste, vinegar and chilli. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until fragrant. Add tomato, sugar and 1 cup cold water. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, for 40 minutes or until meat is tender. Serve with rice and raita.