Grand Raspberry Trifle2013-02-06
This grand, fluffy trifle combines fruit, juice-drenched pound cake, and whipped cream — a delight for the senses.
Trifle can be made in one large dish or several small dishes. Ours combines fruit, jam, juice-drenched pound cake, and whipped cream. To make individual raspberry trifles, follow steps 1 through 3. In each of 10 glass serving dishes or wineglasses (1 1/2-cup capacity), follow procedure in step 4, making only two layers in each glass.
- 1/2 cup(s) sugar
- 2 tablespoon(s) sugar, for whipped cream
- 1/4 cup(s) fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup(s) seedless raspberry jam
- 4 cup(s) raspberries
- 2 cup(s) heavy cream
- 1 1/2 pound(s) favorite pound cake
- In a small saucepan, bring 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup water, and lemon juice to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar, 1 to 2 minutes. Let cool.
- In a small bowl, combine jam with 3 cups raspberries, mashing slightly. In a large bowl, whip cream and 2 tablespoons sugar to stiff peaks.
- Slice pound cake 3/4 inch thick; brush both sides of slices with lemon syrup.
- Fit 1/3 of slices snugly in the bottom of a 4-quart trifle dish or other glass bowl, trimming edges if necessary. Gently spread top of layer with 1/3 of raspberry mixture, and then 1/3 of whipped cream. Repeat to make two more layers; garnish with remaining cup raspberries. Refrigerate until ready to serve, up to 24 hours.