Handvo Recipe (Handwa)2013-01-08
Handvo (or Handwa) is an all time favorite snack — perfect for tea time, brunch, anytime! Savory inside with a nutty Sesame Seed crust…just one word — YUM!
- Long Grain Rice – 1 cup (200 gms)
Channa Daal – 1/4 cup (50 gms)
Toor Daal – 1/4 cup (50 gms)
- Urad Daal – 1 heaping Tbsp
- Yogurt – 1/2 cup (150 gms)
- Green Chilies – 2 – 3 or to taste, finely chopped or ground
- Ginger Paste – 2 tsp
- Garlic Paste- 2 tsp (approx 3 large cloves)
- Opo/Bottlegourd/Doodhi/Lauki – 1.5 cup, shredded and packed ( approx 12 oz)
- Salt – 2 tsp or to taste
- Ajwain – 1/2 tsp
- Sugar – 2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Eno Fruit Salt – 1 tsp
- Sesame Seeds – 2 Tbsp
- Oil – 3 Tbsp (divided)
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida (Hing) – 1/4 tsp
- Red Chili Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Curry Leaves – few
1. Wash Rice and all Daals and soak them for at least 4-6 hours.
2. Drain water from Rice/Daal and coarsely grind them with Yogurt (if possible, do not add any additional water while grinding). Food processor or blender may be used.
3. In a medium size mixing bowl, add batter from above and mix in the following: Ginger, Garlic, Green Chilies, Salt, Sugar, Ajwain, Turmeric Powder and Doodhi/Lauki. Mix well.
4. In a small skillet, heat 1 Tbsp of Oil slightly. Add Curry Leaves and Red Chili Powder. Add this Oil mixture to the above batter and mix well.
5. Cover and let this batter rest for 6-7 hours or overnight (no need to refrigerate).
6. Add Eno Fruit Salt and mix well to make the batter foamy.
7. Divide batter into greased muffin pan or pour int a greased cake pan.
8. Sprinkle Sesame Seeds over the top of the batter.
9. In a small skillet, heat remaining 2 Tbsp Oil.
10. Add Mustard Seeds and let them pop. Switch off stove.
11. Add Asafoetida to the oil.
12. Drizzle this oil seasoning over the top of the sesame seeds.
13. Cover pan with aluminum foil and bake at 350F (180C) for 40 minutes.
14. Remove foil and broil on High for approx 10 minutes until a light golden crust forms.
15. Let the handvo rest for 10-15 minutes before eating.
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 people rated this recipe