- Skill Level: Medium
This is a favourite of mine. Do as the Italians do, and drink it from a bowl instead of a mug.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 100g plain chocolate
- 15g unsalted butter
- 125ml full-fat milk
- 450ml double cream
- 1 shot rich espresso coffee (or 25ml strong, fresh coffee)
- 2 heaped teaspoons dark soft brown sugar
- 40g plain chocolate, finely shaved, to serve
- Put the chocolate, butter, milk and two thirds of the double cream into a saucepan. Heat gently until the chocolate has melted, stirring constantly. Turn up the heat and bring to the boil, stirring all the time.
- Add the coffee and enough sugar to taste, and then pour into bowls.
- Whip the remaining cream until firm. Top the hot chocolate with the whipped cream and sprinkle over the chocolate shavings.