How to make Moong/Mung Bean Sprouts at Home2013-06-17
- 2 cups whole mung beans
- The method that I am mentioning below is to sprout the moong/mung beans in a bowl or a container.
- Take the amount of whole moong beans you want to be sprouted in a plate. Pick and clean the moong beans. Now wash the beans in water for 3-4 times.
- In a bowl take the moong beans. Add water and cover it up to 1 inch above the moong beans as shown in the pic.
- Cover the bowl with a lid and soak the beans overnight.
- The next day the moong beans will swell. If there is any remaining water on top, then just discard it. Cover and keep the bowl for 2 days. You can check after a day and you will see the sprouts appearing. After 2 days you will see beautiful sprouts from the moong beans.
- The second method ( I do not have pics for this one) is to sprout the mung beans in a kitchen napkin or cloth.
- Soak the moong beans overnight. The next day, drain the water from the soaked moong beans. Wet a clean cloth or kitchen napkin with water and squeeze the excess water from it. Take this damp cloth and keep the soaked moong beans in the cloth. Tighten this cloth and keep this cloth with the moong beans in it covered in a container for 1 or 2 days.
- After one day, you will see small sprouts and they will grow after 2 days. For longer sprouts, you can keep it for one more day. These sprouted beans stay fresh in the fridge for upto 1-2 days. So you could keep them in the fridge after they have sprouted, if you don’t intend to use them on the same day.
- Whichever technique you use, once the sprouts are done, you could now use the moong beans to make your favorite recipe. You could even have these raw in salads or slightly steam and have it plain or just with about anything……. even toasted bread.