Indonesian Lamb Curry2012-08-16
For the paste:
- 4 tbsp oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
- 4 dried red chillies, broken into pieces
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- Â¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp salt
For the curry:
- 2 tbsp oil
- 6 lamb cutlets or pieces or cut into pieces
- 250g baby potatoes, halved if larger
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- Â½ tsp salt
- 400ml can coconut milk
- Thickly peeled rind Â½ lemon
- 75g fine green beans, trimmed
- Juice of I lime
- To make the paste: Heat the oil and fry the onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes, until lightly browned. Add the chillies, poppy seeds, ginger, turmeric, nutmeg and salt to the pan and fry for 43-4 minutes. Stirring occasionally. Transfer to a blender and whizz until smooth.
- To make the curry: Heat the oil over a medium to high heat and stir-fry the curry paste until it darkens. Then add the lamb and fry until coated with the paste and starting to brown. Add the potatoes and fry for 1 minute. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, salt, coconut milk and lemon rind. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 15-20 minutes, until the potatoes are tender. Discard lemon rind, add the green beans and lime juice and cook for 1-2 minutes. Serve hot with rice.
Not suitable for freezing.