Instant Coffee Cake with Coffee Sauce2012-06-12
- Skill Level: Medium
Coffee flavoured coffee cake. I have yet to meet someone who doesn’t ask me for the recipe when they taste this.
- Coffee cake:
- 100g caster sugar
- 100g butter
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tbsp instant coffee dissolved in 2 tbsp of water
- 100g self raising flour
- 100ml water
- 1 tbsp coffee
- 4 tbsp sugar
- Coffee sauce:
- 50g caster sugar
- 1 tbsp instant coffee
- 3 tbsp golden syrup
- 50ml water
- 125ml evaporated milk
- Preheat oven to 180 C / gas 4. Grease a 9 in / 23cm cake tin.
- Beat butter until light and fluffy with electric beater. Add sugar and beat for another minute. Gradually add the beaten eggs, coffee water, alternating with the self-raising flour and beating until the mixture is smooth and light. Tip into the prepared cake tin.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until skewer inserted into centre comes out clean.
- Place all the syrup ingredients in a pan and heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Prick holes all over the cake and spoon the coffee syrup over the cake while still warm.
- For the coffee sauce: mix all the ingredients and heat until the sugar dissolves. Serve cake warm drizzled with warm coffee sauce.