Lamb Cutlets with Mint Peas2013-01-13
In this classically British recipe, deliciously succulent lamb cutlets are given extra flavour with a streaky bacon wrap and simple frozen peas are transformed into a gourmet side with the help of a little fresh mint. The best part? It takes just 30 minutes, making it an easy midweek meal.
- 8 lamb cutlets
- 2tsp English mustard
- 8 thin rashers streaky bacon
- Vegetable oil
- 300g (10oz)Â frozen peas
- Knob of butter
- 2tsp chopped fresh mint leaves, to serve
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Heat the oven to 200Â°C (gas mark 6). Spread a little mustard on the cutlets, then wrap each one in a rasher of bacon. Secure with a toothpick.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large frying pan over a high heat. When it’s hot, sear the cutlets for about 1 minute each side, or until coloured. You may need to do this in batches. Transfer then to a roasting tin, and roast in the oven for 7-10 minutes.
- While the cutlets are cooking, add the peas to the boiling water and cook for about 4 minutes. Drain well, return them to the saucepan and add a knob of butter. Lightly mash the peas with a potato masher, or whizz them quickly in a food processor. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, and sprinkle over the mint. Keep warm over a low heat until ready to serve with the lamb.