Lamb Meatballs with Lemon-Cumin Yogurt2013-06-05
Fresh mint and cilantro pair with the classic Mediterranean spices of cinnamon, cumin, and coriander to liven up ground lamb and plain yogurt. To prepare these as a main course, form larger meatballs and serve with pita and couscous.
For the meatballs:
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1/4 cup finely chopped white onion
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the yogurt:
- 7 ounces whole-milk Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh mint
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Zest of 1 medium lemon, minced
- Heat the oven to 375°F and arrange a rack in the middle.
- Combine all meatball ingredients in a large bowl and mix thoroughly with your hands.
- Form into 30 balls (about 2 teaspoons each) and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake until meatballs are no longer pink in the middle, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine all yogurt ingredients in a small bowl and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Mix well. Serve with the meatballs.