Lamb, Shallot and Date Tagine2012-08-18
Transport your tastebuds to a Moroccan souk with this meltingly tender lamb tagine packed with shallots and dates.
- 1.5kg/3¬ľlb¬†leg of lamb, cubed
- 2 tsp ground¬†coriander seeds
- 2 tsp¬†ground ginger
- 2 tbsp¬†olive¬†oill
- 18¬†shallots¬†whole, peeled
- 4¬†garlic¬†cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp¬†plain flour
- 1 tbsp¬†tomato pur√©e
- 600ml/1 pint¬†lamb stock
- 2 tbsp flatleaf¬†parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp¬†coriander, chopped
- 1 preserved lemon, rinsed, inner pulp removed
- 110g/4oz medjool¬†dates, pits removed or dates which are available
- 1 tbsp clear¬†honey
- Place the lamb in a bowl and add the ground coriander, ground ginger, saffron and one tablespoon of the olive oil. Mix well and leave to marinate in the fridge, covered, for 24 hours.
- The next day, heat the remaining olive oil in a heavy-based pan with a lid. Cook the lamb until browned all over (you may need to do this in batches). Remove the lamb from the pan and set aside.
- Fry the shallots in the same pan until lightly golden then add the garlic and return the lamb to the pan.
- Stir in the plain flour and add the tomato pur√©e and cinnamon stick.
- Stir in the lamb stock and bring to the boil. Cover tightly and simmer gently for 1¬Ĺ hours, or until the lamb is tender.
- Add the parsley, coriander, lemon rind, dates and honey, stir well to combine and serve with a bowl of cous cous.