Lamb with Christmas Spices2013-11-23
Keep this in the freezer ready for dinner parties and serve it with rice and salad or crunchy potatoes and vegetables
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 5cm fresh root ginger, shredded
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1½ kg lean lamb neck fillets, cut into chunks
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 8 cloves
- 6 cardamom pods
- good pinch saffron
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 3 tbsp ground almonds
- 850ml beef stock
- 250g pack ready-to-eat dried apricots
- Fry the onions, garlic and ginger in the oil for about 15 mins. Add the lamb and stir-fry until browned. Add the spices, cook over the heat to release their flavours, then add the almonds. Pour in the stock and season to taste.
- Cover the pan and simmer for 45 mins, stirring occasionally. Add the apricots, then simmer 15 mins more until the lamb is tender. Thin with a little water if the sauce starts to get too thick.
- To freeze, cool, then pack into a freezer container or bags. Will keep for up to 3 months. Thaw for 6 hrs in the fridge, then reheat in a pan until bubbling hot.