Luxury Vanilla Ice Cream2012-06-03
- Skill Level: Medium
This is a rich custard ice cream, flavoured with a whole vanilla bean. This is a basic recipe; purists will most definitely enjoy as it is, but you can also experiment with additions to create your own flavour.
- 1L (1 3/4 pints) double cream
- 300ml (1/2 pint) milk
- 1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
- 250g (9 oz) caster sugar, divided
- 10 egg yolks
- In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, combine cream and milk. Place vanilla bean and scrapings in pot and sprinkle with half the caster sugar. Allow to just come to the boil.
- Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks together with the remaining sugar in a bowl. When the cream is ready, pour a third of it into the egg mixture and whisk. Pour egg mixture into remaining hot cream and return to the heat until mixture coats the back of a metal spoon. Do not boil.
- Strain custard and chill until cold. Once cold, pour into the canister of an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions.