Meaty Lasagna Bolognese2013-06-19
With its thick, full-bodied meat sauce famous in the ancient city of Bologna, Italy.
- 1 poundÂ lean ground beef
- 8 ouncesÂ bulk Italian sausage
- 4 ouncesÂ pancetta or bacon, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cupÂ whole milk or half-and-half
- 1/2 cupÂ dry white wine
- 1/2 cupÂ chicken broth
- 1 cupÂ canned crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoonsÂ tomato paste
- 1 tablespoonÂ snipped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoonÂ snipped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 teaspoonÂ ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoonÂ salt
- 1/4 teaspoonÂ crushed red pepper
- 2 cupsÂ shredded mozzarella cheese (8 ounces)
- 1 cupÂ finely shredded Parmesan cheese (4 ounces)
- 12 no-boil lasagna noodles
- 1 10 ounce container refrigerated alfredo pasta sauce
For meat sauce:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a large pot, cook ground beef, sausage, pancetta, onion, carrots, celery, and garlic over medium-high heat until meat is brown and vegetables are tender. Drain off fat.
2. Stir in milk. Simmer, uncovered, until milk is nearly evaporated. Stir in wine and broth. Simmer, uncovered, until liquid is nearly evaporated. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, sage, parsley, black pepper, salt, and crushed red pepper. In a medium bowl, combine mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses.
3. To assemble, spread one-third of the meat sauce over the bottom of an ungreased 13x9x2-inch baking dish or 3-quart rectangular casserole. Sprinkle with one-fourth of the cheese mixture. Top with noodles. Repeat layering meat sauce, cheese mixture, and noodles two more times. Spread the alfredo sauce evenly over the noodles.
4. Cover dish with foil. Bake for 40 minutes. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese mixture. Bake, uncovered, about 10 minutes more or until heated through. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.