Middle Eastern Lamb Kebabs2013-06-04
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup whole milk plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for seasoning the meat
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning the meat
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 pounds leg of lamb meat, trimmed of fat, tendons, and gristle and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 to 10 (10-inch) wooden or metal skewers
- Place all ingredients except lamb in a large, nonreactive bowl and whisk to combine. Add lamb and toss until thoroughly coated. Cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Remove lamb from refrigerator and let come to room temperature, about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, if using wooden skewers, soak in water at least 30 minutes before using.
- Heat grill or seasoned grill pan to medium heat. Meanwhile, thread each skewer with 5 to 6 pieces of lamb, separating pieces by about 1 inch. Season lamb skewers with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Coat the grill with a thin layer of oil, and grill skewers to desired doneness, about 10 minutes total for medium, turning as needed so they cook evenly. Remove from grill and serve.