Mild Butter Chicken2013-01-18
This butter chicken recipe is full of spice but mild and creamy enough that even the kids will enjoy eating it.
- 1 1/2 tbs light olive oil
- 600g chicken thigh fillets, excess fat trimmed, quartered
- 20g butter
- 1 brown onion, cut into thick wedges
- 2cm-piece fresh ginger, peeled, shredded
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 x 7cm cinnamon stick (see note)
- 2 tsp ground paprika
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 185ml (3/4 cup) passata (tomato pasta sauce)
- 125ml (1/2 cup) chicken stock
- 150g green round beans
- 2 tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 80ml (1/3 cup) thickened cream
- 60ml (1/4 cup) natural yoghurt
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 25g (1/4 cup) flaked almonds, toasted
- Natural yoghurt, extra, to serve
- Fresh coriander sprigs, to serve
- Saffron rice or steamed rice, to serve
Heat a wok over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of oil and heat until smoking. Add half the chicken. Stir-fry for 3-4 minutes or until golden. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining chicken, reheating the wok between batches.
Heat the remaining oil and butter in the wok. Add the onion, ginger and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion softens. Add the cinnamon, paprika, ground coriander, cumin, garam masala and chilli powder, and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds or until aromatic. Add the chicken and toss to coat.
Add the passata, stock, beans and tomato. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
Combine the cream, yoghurt and cornflour in a small bowl. Add to the wok and simmer for 2 minutes or until the mixture thickens.
Serve the curry with the almonds, extra yoghurt, fresh coriander and rice.