Moroccan Beef with Citrus Couscous2012-09-25
Harissa is a paste made from dried red chi lies, garlic, oil and caraway seeds, and is a staple of Moroccan cooking. Preserved lemons, a prominent ingredient in North African cooking, are lemons which have been bottled in salt and oil for several months; their flavour is subtle and perfumed. Rinse the lemons well then remove and discard flesh, using the rind only. Butt fillet is fillet from the rump; rump steak can be substituted here.
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 500g piece butt fillet
- 1 tablespoon harissa
- 1 cup (250m1) beef stock
- 200g seeded green olives, crushed slightly
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh coriander
For the citrus couscous:
- 2 medium oranges (480g)
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- 1 cup (250ml) orange juice
- 2 cups (400g) couscous
- Â¼ cup (35g) toasted slivered almonds
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced preserved lemon
- 1 small red onion (100g), sliced thinly
- 500g red radishes, trimmed, sliced thinly
- Combine garlic and spices in medium bowl; reserve about a third of the spice
- mixture. Add fillet to bowl with remaining two-thirds of the spice mixture; toss to coat fillet all over, Cook fillet on heated oiled grill plate (or grill or barbecue) until
- charred lightly both sides and cooked as desired. Cover; stand 10 minutes.
- Make citrus couscous.
- Meanwhile, cook harissa and remaining spice mixture in dry heated small non-stick frying pan until fragrant. Add stock; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, about 3 minutes or until harissa dressing reduces by half. Remove from heat; stir in olives and coriander. Serve sliced fillet on citrus couscous, drizzle with warm harissa dressing.
- CITRUS COUSCOUS Remove skin and white pith from oranges; cut in half, slice thinly. Place the water and juice in medium saucepan; bring to a boil, Remove from heat; str in couscous. Cover; stand about 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed, fluffing with fork occasionally. Add orange and remaining ingredients; toss gently to combine.