Mushroom and Bean Curd Soup2012-06-30
- Skill Level: Medium
Mushroom and tofu soup flavored with green chillies
Time required: 15 minutes
- 15 g button mushrooms, sliced
- 20 g bean curd (tofu), cubed
- A few drops cooking oil
- 10 g garlic
- 5 g green chillies, finely chopped
- 2 cups vegetable stock (see below) salt to taste
- Sugar to taste
- 20 g corn flour
- 5 g coriander leaves, finely chopped
- Heat some oil in a wok and add the garlic and green chillies and sauté for two minutes. Add the vegetable stock, mushrooms and bean curd, and bring to a boil. Check seasoning and remove the scum. Thicken the broth with the corn flour.
- Garnish with the chopped coriander. Serve hot. You can also add broccoli and baby corn if you want more vegetables in the soup.
What is Vegetable stock?
Boil a litre of water in a thick bottomed pan, and add one of each of the following, roughly chopped: Carrot, onion, celery and spring onion. Add a small piece of ginger, three to four cloves of garlic, one bay leaf and a few peppercorns. Allow to boil till the water reduces to half. Cool and strain through a muslin cloth or very fine sieve. Check seasoning.